This position is primarily responsible for: In a division with Department Head: Assists with managing Purchasing Department including routine daily management of staff. Negotiates and contracts with material and labor suppliers and performs the following duties either personally or through subordinates.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists with flow of work for department by coordinating with professional(s) and administrative staff.
- Assists with generating preliminary budgets and establishing product features and options.
- Bids out onsite construction; negotiates subcontractor increases as appropriate.
- Qualifies bids and negotiates as necessary.
- Assists with follow ups and closing of subcontractor and vendor contracts.
- Creates budget comparisons and per square foot cost averages for review.
- Reviews all addendum requests resulting in scope changes or price changes.
- Reviews Purchase Order claims and contracts for conformance to Company policy.
- Reviews scopes of work for areas of improvement. Revise as necessary for review.
- May find, investigate and hire subcontractors.
- May assist Construction Department with management of subcontractors.
- May conduct subcontractor orientations.
- May monitor and distribute blueprints.
- May supervise vendor set-ups.
- Works closely with Product Development to ensure plan accuracy and timely plan approval.
- Resolves problems with staff, subcontractors/vendors or other departments.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Two years of experience in Purchasing or equivalent required.
- Degree or Certificate in Engineering, Building Science or Construction Management preferred.
- Two years in homebuilding industry preferred.
- Must be able to read blueprints.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Extensive knowledge of budgeting for homebuilding required.
- Excellent purchasing and negotiating skills.
- Excellent delegation and organization skills.
- Two years field experience preferred.
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Should be proficient in computer systems (spreadsheet and word processing preferred).
- BuildPro and SupplyPro experience preferred.
- JD Edwards experience preferred.
- Typical office environment